The Corporate Accountant will be responsible for the period-end close process for corporate entities, preparing schedules for internal and external auditors, and other special projects as assigned. This is a comprehensive position that requires solid basic accounting skills.
- Complete period-end close process for corporate entities including review of general ledger, preparation of period-end reports, journal entries, bank reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, and explanations of variances from budget.
- Prepare support schedules and other requested items for external and internal auditors.
- Prepare miscellaneous reports for internal and external use.
- Responsible for reconciliation of fixed asset system to general ledger, including the management of asset additions and retirement of assets within the sub-ledgers.
- Assist with period-end close process for development entities as assigned.
- Record corporate and property payroll and be in contact with corporate and property accounting staff on a regular basis to ensure receipt of information required to complete financial statements.
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Centralize monthly journal entries as assigned by implementing the use of recurring entries to increase department efficiency.
- Develop the ability to understand the operational point of view in order to prepare explanations of variances from budget
- Perform tasks that will develop an understanding of GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley along with their practical application in a business environment.
- Collaborate with Corporate and Property Accounting team to prepare additional reports and analysis to fulfill audit requirements and meet monthly reporting deadlines
- Special projects and other duties as assigned by Managers, Assistant Controller, and VP Corporate Controller
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC – we are all groundskeepers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Ethical Conduct
- Attention to Detail
- Communication Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required
- Accounting and/or experience in the student housing industry preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Microsoft Office applications
- GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills
- Maintain a strong work ethic, positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Work independently and be a self-starter, problem solver, and team player
- Demonstrate flexibility with changing work assignments in a dynamic environment
- Handle multiple high priority projects
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The normal operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hours of work may change based upon the needs of the business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Results